When it comes to nutrition and body image, our office operates under two philosophies, "Health at Every Size," and "All Foods Fit." In other words, both health and happiness can be achieved no matter the size, weight, shape, color, texture, or age of your body or of your mind. We know through research that diets don't work! As such, we teach people to make peace with food and cultivate body positivity through a number of different mechanisms. For example, by learning to use our body's inherent internal queues, instead of the external queues coming from books, social media, magazines, pop culture, etc., we can learn to eat intuitively. Cultivating a healthy relationship with food is possible for everyone. It is also a journey and it doesn't happen over night.
Nutrition and Body Image Tips
- Remember there is no perfect way to eat. There is no "one size fits all" method. Find what works for you.
- Stay away from diets. They don't work. We don't fail diets, diets fail us. If its new and trendy, and sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Stay away. Focus on maintaining a well-balanced, plant-based eating pattern. Like anything else in a healthy lifestyle, moderation is key. Aim for balance, not perfection.
- Cultivate a healthy relationship with food. Paying attention to your body's hunger and fullness will improve your relationship with food, and ultimately your relationship with yourself.
- Body image is very rarely about the body. Body image is all about perception.
- Weight is simply a number on a scale, nothing more. If you are concerned about your health, schedule an appointment with your primary care provider.